In the second half of 2013, Lithuania held the Presidency of the European Union. Statistics Lithuania was chairing the Council Working Group on Statistics.
Council Working Party on Statistics – LT Presidency results
Three important regulations have been signed into law and already published in the Official Journal after the final trilogues and discussions at the Council Working Party on Statistics (CWPS) following the inputs made by previous presidencies and good cooperative spirit demonstrated by all parties:
- European statistics on demography (Reg. 1260 / 2013), following the 3rd and final informal trilogue with EP;
- Omnibus regulation on Lisbon alignment in agriculture and fishery statistics (Reg. 1350 / 2013), following the final technical trilogue with EP and Commission;
- Amendment of Regulation 99 / 2013 European statistical programme 2013–2017 (Reg. 1383 / 2013), launching, examination and completion of the procedure.
Examination completed and tangible progress has been achieved on the four following dossiers:
- Amendment of Regulation 577 / 98 on Labour Force Surveys (final position agreed at CWPS, advancement on key positions in 2 informal trilogies);
- Amendment of Regulation No 691 / 2011 on European Environmental Economic Accounts: 3 new modules (examination completed at CWPS, Coreper endorsed the mandate for the informal trilogue);
- Amendment of Regulation 1166 / 2008 on farm structure surveys (launching and examination completed at CWPS, Coreper agreed to subject the proposal to the simplified procedure);
- Amendment of Regulation 638 / 2004 on Intrastat (launching and completion of examination at CWPS with the compromise reached at CWPS).
Examination advanced on Amendment of Regulation 223 / 2009 on European Statistics. The file has been examined since the Danish presidency. The Parliament adopted its first-reading position on 21 November 2013. Consultations with the Commission and the EP continued, aiming at a so-called „early-second reading agreement"; however, the final compromise has not been reached with the EP.
Examination started at CWPS advancing the following dossiers at different levels:
- Amendment of Regulation 471 / 2009 on Extrastat;
- Macroeconomic imbalances procedure;
- PRAC Omnibus I (CWPS position on the statistical package submitted to the FoP Group).
During the six months of the Lithuanian Presidency 5 Council Working Party on Statistics (CWPS) meetings were held, 4 informal trilogues with the European Parliament were run on 3 dossiers, 13 written hearings-consultations with Member States took place which demonstrated the good will of the delegations and helped in taking reasonable decisions. As a result, 19 official documents have been produced for circulation and examination at the CWPS, 11 Coreper meetings were approached for different purposes and on different dossiers and about 40 preparatory and supporting documents for briefings, CWPS meetings, informal trilogues and Coreper inscriptions drafted.
This difficult task was seen as a priority issue in Statistics Lithuania and was the responsibility undertaken by the Presidency Team of 6 persons (2 of them office-based), assisted by 8 experts for different statistical dossiers.
The handover to the next Greek presidency took place on 18 December in Vilnius.
The Final report of the Lithuanian Presidency (PDF) is available.
* * * * *
To facilitate the exchange of information a website dedicated to the Croatian Presidency of the Council Working Party on Statistics has been launched: www.eu2020.dzs.hr. In addition, for all Presidency-related issues, there is a designated e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.